Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dad Update, Part 2

OKAY - -

Dad had a procedure that completely shut off an artery in his right leg that was pretty much 100% blocked anyway. That way, when he has his next procedure on the 27th of this month, it will not create a "backwash" into the anuerysm that they will be repairing; also, they will do a 'bypass' from the left let artery over to the right leg, and he should then have very good blood flow to both legs.

The surgeon had some difficulty when he first got in and started working on the leg artery, and it took quite a bit longer than he had expected, but he got the job done. As he said, he is working with 83-year-old 'plumbing', and sometimes things don't always work out as planned. Since it was a little more complicated than he had anticipated, they decided to hold him overnight for observation.

I am SO glad they did.

In the middle of the night, Dad woke up in extreme pain, and called for the nurse. It seems that he could not go to the bathroom, and his stomach was distended and very sore. They put a catheter in, and it relieved things immediately.

The next morning I came to the hospital and was told what had occurred. Dad seemed to be feeling pretty good, but tired. They decided late morning to take the catheter out and see how things progressed.

Well, they didn't.

By mid-afternoon, Dad was again in severe pain, his stomach distended and sore, so they had to put the catheter back in. (ouch!!!!) Dad's surgeon told the nurses to contact the urologist and have Dad checked out. They also had a specimen sent to the Lab to get tested.

The urologist checked Dad out and said he had developed a prostate infection, and the prostate was swollen and preventing him from being able to pass anything. They prescribed a kick-ass antibiotic and FlowMax, and sent him on his was - - to our house - - WITH the catheter and Foley bag still attached. He will be wearing this contraption until at least Wednesday, when we are to get an appointment with the urologist at his office for a recheck.

Dad is still very tired and pretty weak, which is to be expected - - after all, not only did he just go through surgery, but that infections is probably really wearing him down! He spends a lot of time sleeping, and his appetite isn't very good at the moment, but I make sure he at leasts eats SOMETHING so he can try to get his strength built back up a little.

I'm just glad he is here instead of at home.

We will know more Wednesday after we meet with the doctors - - the surgeon for a Carotid artery scan, then Pre-admissions at the hospital for the surgery on the 27th, then the urologist for all the other stuff.

What a week this is going to be . . . at least it's Spring Break at the College, and with no students on campus, it will be pretty quiet.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: