Thursday, March 02, 2006

Flu Bug, Part Deux

Dear Hubby Steve is pretty much over his fight with the nasty Flu bug that bit him. Except for the COUGH, that is . . . he is driving ME - - and HIMSELF - - crazy! Other than that, he's doing pretty okay. Finally got his energy level back, and things are cool.

Now it's MY turn. :-(

I don't have the same one he had - - his was all upper respiratory and chest. MINE, however, is stomach flu.

God, I hate this.

Woke up at 1:00 a.m. this morning with stomach cramps. Laid there in bed hoping things would settle down, but no luck. Got up at 1:45 a.m., and was up until 5:45 a.m. sick.

NOT fun!

And the worst thing is - - this is the ONE DAY this week when I absolutely COULD NOT be sick - - our office is hosting a meeting on campus with people coming in from all over the State, and we are the ones who need to make sure it all goes smoothly.

And here I am at home - - in my pink flannel jammies (hey, they are Victoria's Secret - - they are really COOL flannel jammies!!) - - wondering what to do. Our college is known for our hospitality and making people feel welcome when we host an event - - any event - - and I did not want that reputation tarnished in any way.

SO - -

By 7:00 a.m. I am on the phone to M, my boss's assistant, calling him at home to let him know what was happening. I also told him I was going to make some other calls and get everything arranged, and would talk to him once he got to the office.

I then called S, who was in town from a college up north, who was officiating the meeting. We have been in constant contact on the phone for weeks now, making sure everything was arranged. I told her I would work things our and get back with her very soon.

I then called C, my "partner in crime", who has worked conferences and meetings with me for years. We have it down to an art - - we don't even have to say anything to each other any more, we just know what needs done, and we do it. I explained the whole situation to her, asked for her help (BLESS YOU, C!), and told her where everything was in my office. I also asked her to put S in contact with Food Servide, in case there were any last minute meal questions (2-day meeting, LOTS of food).

I then called down to Shilling and talked to B, who takes care of setup. I told her the situation, and that C would be bringing S down to see her before 9:00 a.m. She told me not to worry (yeah, right!! I'm ITALIAN, remember???) - - she would take care of things.

I then called M back at home and told him everything was arranged for. I then called S back at her hotel room, and told her where she needed to go to meet up with C.

I also made sure everyone had my home number in case they couldn't find something they needed.

*WHEW* - - NOW I'm exhausted!!

By this time it is 8:00, and I decide it's time to head to bed and try to get some sleep, if my tummy will allow me to. Figured if they needed me, they would call.

I woke up at 11:30 a.m.

Wow - - no phone calls!

SO - - I got up and called C to see how things went. Everything went very smoothly, and S and her group were pleased with things. That's a GOOD feeling! :-)

So I went back to bed, and curled up with two fur-kittys and slept most of the afternoon. Dear Hubby woke me up when he got home around 3:30. I have finally tried to eat something - - let's see how THIS works out.

But now I am ready to head back off to bed. The way my tummy is feeling, it is up in the air as to whether I make it to work tomorrow or not. I'm hoping so, because I'm out of the office in training Monday and Tuesday, and have to pull things together for a staff meeting scheduled for Wednesday morning. I'll go in on Sunday and get those packets ready if I have to!

Thanks for stopping by, and wish me luck shaking this nasty Flu bug - - *sigh*

No comments: