Thursday, November 24, 2011

An Amazing Thanksgiving

You know, there really ARE good people in this world. Our family had a personal experience today that proves it.

Every year on Thanksgiving, Mr. Dizzy and I go down to my home town and spend the day with my Dad. And, instead of cooking Thanksgiving dinner, Dad likes going to the Round Table Restaurant in the next town over (about 20 minutes away). This year was no different, except for the way our meal ended.....

We had a great meal; Mr. Dizzy got the traditional dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, yams, etc. But Dad and I? Nope. We are totally non-traditional....we got Dad's favorite, BBQ Ribs. And believe me, they are totally yummy! But their meals are pretty big portions, so I asked the waitress for a leftovers box. When she brought me the boxes, she wished us a Happy Thanksgiving and told us, "You are all taken care of." She then walked off, leaving us sitting there just totally stunned. What did she mean by that? When she came back by, I asked her what she meant by that; she just smiled, and said again, "Have a Happy Thanksgiving."

Well, stunned is an understatement.

We were looking around the restaurant trying to figure out who would have done this. Mr. Dizzy noticed an Army Veteran sitting alone at the table behind us, and when he looked at him, the man gave a little smile and a wink. Mr. Dizzy just gave a small smile and a little nod, but said nothing to me or Dad.

As we got up from our table, the man got Dad's attention and said, "Thank you for your service, Sir." Dad and he chatted for just a few moments, and the man mentioned that his Dad had been a WWII Veteran also. Dad wished him a Happy Thanksgiving, and we left the restaurant.

When we got out to the parking lot, Mr. Dizzy told us what the man behind us had done when he caught his eye. So, we *think* he was the one who paid for our dinner.

So - - to the man who did this wonderful thing for us, I want to say "THANK YOU" for putting a smile on Dad's face that stayed there all day. Bless you, Sir, and I hope you had a VERY Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: