Monday, December 07, 2009

An Avoidable Tragedy

****UPDATE**** I just checked with Mr. Dizzy, who was a volunteer Firefighter for 20 years. He told me that CO detectors cost around $20 each, and you can get smoke detectors for around $10 each. Like I said, I know times are tight, but seriously? This is a small price to save your life! If you don't have them, please go get them.

I am almost finished with the post telling about the Walmart Black Friday Incident, but something happened over the weekend that takes precedence. It was very upsetting, and totally avoidable. And I am just sick over it.

Over the weekend, a long-time employee or our city's newspaper and his wife were found in the lower level of their home, apparently overcome by carbon monoxide. Emergency personnel were called, and they registered a very high level of carbon monoxide in the home. The couple was transported to the hospital. The wife was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, but was able to come back home Sunday evening. But, unfortunately, the husband's exposure to the CO caused a heart attack, and he passed away early Sunday morning.

During the course of the investigation, it was discovered that they did not have carbon monoxide detectors, OR smoke alarms, in their home.

Senseless. SENSELESS.

Yes, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors cost a bit of money. I understand that times are hard right now. I GET IT.


I'm sorry - - this was a totally unavoidable tragedy. I knew the husband, having worked at the paper part-time many years ago, and also seeing him in our local school district's Administration building when I worked there, and he covered the education beat. He was a very nice, knowledgeable, big-hearted man. This is really hitting me, and a LOT of people in our city, very, very deeply.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR - - go get one. NOW. Yes, they may cost a bit, but it could save your life.

Oh, and? While you are at it, check your smoke detectors. Make sure the batteries are good and that they WORK. If you do not have smoke detectors? Pick them up when you are getting your carbon monoxide detector.

Just do it. Please? I would really miss you if you were gone.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

oh that is so sad. When I was in high school one of my fellow students died from this same type of situation. Ever since then I have to have a detector in my house.