Sunday, July 01, 2007

Rummage, Rummage, and MORE Rummage . . .

Ever had a Rummage Sale? Well - - we had a DANDY one this past weekend!

As Dear Hubby and I were unpacking over the last few months, we also did a lot of "sorting", and everything that was not being kept went to the basement in boxes labeled "Sale". Over time, this pile of 'stuff' has grown and grown, and nearly threatened to take over the basement! (I'm exaggerating, but not much . . . )

Anyway - - It came time to have the sale.

Steve and I spent the better part of a week making sure the barn was all cleared out and clean. My friend Cindy came over a couple of days and helped me price everything. (She also had lots of things for the sale). My friend Betty, another sale participant, made arrangements with her church to borrow some long tables to use for the sale. We had things from my Dad and my in-laws, and even Steve managed to let go of some items.

Finally, the time came to get it all set up. I took last Thursday afternoon off, and Cindy and I started in getting things out of the basement and into the barn.

Of course, it was raining. OF COURSE. So we had to back Steve's truck into the garage, cart everything up from the basement and into the garage, load up the truck, and then drive it to the barn to unload and put on tables.


Add to that having no power (read: no LIGHTS) in the barn, and that made time a real premium.

Finally, everything was out of the basement and into the barn. It was PACKED! Every table was full - - every wall had things lined up against it. Boxes and storage crates were being used for display space. We had SO MUCH STUFF! But it was getting late, and the sale started at 7 the next morning. So it was time for some sleep.

We got up at 4:45 AM. Steve went out and put up our bright pink poster-size signs, and then had to come home and get ready for work. I went out to the barn at 6:30 and opened the doors to start moving some larger items out into the driveway.

At 6:35, my first customer showed up. (Early sales? Sure! Bring 'em on!) Then another one showed up - - and another, and another, and another . . .

We did not have a break in customers until after 4:00 that afternoon.

It was a beautiful day, and people came out in droves! Cars were lined up on both sides of the road, and stuff was flying out the barn door in truckloads (seriously - - one person came in their car, left and got their pickup, and made TWO trips with that!).

Saturday the weather was just as beautiful, and sales were just as good.

We made some serious cash, and even better, we got rid of most of our 'stuff'!

We are already going through more 'stuff' and preparing for the next sale . . . :-)

No comments: